Installing Windows Server 2012, 10 easy steps
Windows Server 2012 R2 is the latest Windows Server generation, and comes in pair with Windows 8.1 workstation operation systems. If you want to install it for work or testing purpose, you can download free evaluation version directly from Microsoft.
Evaluation period lasts for 180 days, with an optional extension up to 240 days. To extend trial after 180 days period, you have to open command prompt as Administrator (right click and select Run as Administrator) and then enter the command below.
Before you start make sure you have the minimum requirements to install Windows Server 2012
Processor: Minimum 1.4 GHz 64-bit processor
Ram: Minimum 512 MB
Disk Space: Minimum 32 GB
If you wish to install Windows from USB drive, you can follow our 10 easy steps on how to use USB flash drive to install Windows.
1. Boot USB/DVD installer
2. On first screen configure your preferred language, as well as Time and Currency format and keyboard input. Default is English, but this generally depends on install media source.
3. On second screen press “Install now” to continue installation.
4. Enter Windows server 2012 installation key. This does not apply for evaluation and volume licensing installation media source.
5. Choose between Core/Full and Standard/Datacenter version. The only difference between Standard and Datacenter versions is in licensing model, while choosing Server Core installation leaves you with only CMD/Powershell environment after install. GUI can be added afterwards if needed. Beginners should chose Server with a GUI option.
6. You must accept license terms to continue installation
7. Select “Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)” to proceed with clean install.
8. Choose installation disk for your Windows 2012 installation and click “Next“. All data will be wiped, so be sure to backup your existing data if needed.
9. After installation is finished, you will be prompted to enter default Administrator password. Write it down, as you will need it later.
10. Your Windows Server 2012 is installed and ready for use!
And you are done!
Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to start logon process, and enter your default Administrator password.
After evaluation period of 180 days expires, you can extend it twice by 30 days, up to overall 240 days of evaluation. Run Command Prompt as Administrator and enter slmgr.vbs –rearm cmd.